Sunday 6 March 2011

World Book Night 2011 - Final thoughts

Left over from World Book Night

A Big Issue seller took one, the Fish and Chips leaflet man took one, the ladies out on the town in the cash machine queue all took one, school-trip girl took two (It’s free?  Can I have another one?)  The man waiting for his sisters took two, the boys behind the counter in Hope and Greenwood took two and started reading them as soon as we left, duly ignoring their customers. Dowdy fearful out of towners scurried onwards and clearly thought we were loonies – despite my issues of: ‘Don’t worry, I’m not a loony’.  Have I converted any non-readers – probably not. Did I generate a discussion about the book? Yes but only once. How many had heard about WBN – about half (so well done WBN for at least getting their publicity right – a BBC endorsed WBN evening and the backing of Boris worked wonders).  Did I see any other sellers in the West End of London – not a sausage... maybe they were all hiding in Waterstones swapping books with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment